Last update: Thursday, Feb. 8
2018 NED WESTERN Regional Spring Convention & Contests
Yankee / Mountain Division Contests
Youth Harmony / Mixed Harmony Contests
May 4-6, 2018 • Lake George, NY
Crossroads Quartet & Storm Front quartet HERE in Lake George for the weekend!
See & Hear them Saturday Night on the BIG SHOW!
2018 WESTERN REGIONAL (with YOUTH & MIXED Harmony Quartet Contests)
1. CONTEST ENTRY (BHS) for Competitors (Quartet & Chorus)
OPENED at Barberscore.com on Thursday, Feb. 15 — CLOSES Wednesday, April 4th, at midnight.
2018 WESTERN REGIONAL (with YOUTH & MIXED Harmony Quartet Contests)
2. CONVENTION REGISTRATION (NED) for ALL Competitors & Any Attendees
Online Event Registration - at Eventbrite - for the Western Convention & SHOW is OPEN now!
DEADLINE to Register Online is Friday, April 20 (with "Early Bird" savings).
- Each member of your quartet, chorus and/or VLQ is required to purchase a convention registration.
- For comments, questions or concerns about Convention Registrations please contact the NED Registrars at email@example.com
- Remember that every member must have a registration and will be required to show their badge before appearing on stage.
- TICKETS for the Saturday Night BIG Show also available here.
- A registered, attending Western Contest competitor, anyone who is singing this weekend in any contest at Lake George, does NOT need to buy a ticket for the show. Your REGISTRATION badge/pass admits you into the show. No extra charge!
- Order your group's CONTEST performance VIDEO at this same registration site.
Just FYI — Lake George High School is right NEXT TO the HQ Marriott hotel! A short walk!
HEADQUARTERS HOTEL: (Courtyard by Marriott - Lake George)
Courtyard by Marriott Lake George
365 Canada St, Lake George, NY 12845 • (518) 761-1150
Flanked by shops and eateries on the shores of Lake George, this modern hotel is a mile from Interstate 87. Bright, contemporary rooms provide flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi, as well as mini-fridges and coffeemakers.
Parking is complimentary. Breakfast (an extra charge) is served in a casual bistro. There's also an indoor pool and a fitness room.
Dining? Many local restaurants and taverns within easy walking distance.
Hotel: "Peak 365" - With an array of traditional favorites and modern classics, Peak 365 delights taste buds and satiates appetites. Visit our restaurant overlooking the waters of Lake George for a awe-inspiring breakfast or romantic evening rendezvous. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dress is casual.
2 King Beds.... $129.
2-Bedroom Suite.... $269.
King bed w/ sofa (lake view).... $159.
King bed w/ sofa (mountain view).... $134.
1 King, 1 Queen Suite w/ sofa.... $149.
2 Kings Suite (lake view).... $179.
2 Queen (mountain view).... $134.
Plus NY and local Rooms Tax (7%+4%) 1 King (lake view).... $149.
Hotel Direct - Reservations at ... (518) 761-1150
Toll-Free Reservations, call ...1-888-236-2427
You must mention you a part of the
Northeastern District (NED)
"Barbershop Harmony Society"
for special rate and reserved space.
Junior-Senior High School
AUDITORIUM at: (Lake George J/S High School)
381 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
Other Hotels in Lake George - Seasonal - Hotels.com
Quality Inn Lake George • 57 Canada Street • Lake George, NY • (518) 668-3525 • All Rooms $99.95 plus tax.
Fort William Henry Hotel & Conf. Ctr. • 48 Canada Street • Lake George, NY • (518) 668-3081 • Std. Lake side $109 / Std Mountain $95 plus tax.
Blair House Motel and Cottages • 2734 Canada Street • Lake George NY • (518) 668-2871
Econo Lodge Downtown Lake George • 439 Canada St, Lake George, NY • (518) 668-2689
Best Western of Lake George • 2452 NY State Route 9N, Lake George, NY 12845 • (518) 668-5701
Or go to: Hotels.com - Lake George
ADVERTISE in the printed 2018 Spring
This is a GREAT opportunity for you and your chapter, chorus, quartet, business and any other service - to reach the Barbershop Harmony community.
Show your stuff! Offer your services! Tell us about your upcoming events - shows, performances, classes, or your accomplishments and awards! Maybe YOU have a business and would like others to see your ad - and how YOU support cultural events in the community!
PRICES remain unchanged! Your ad helps support the program printing. For as little as $40 - you can place a quarter-page display ad for all to see!
Advertise in BOTH programs and receive a 20% discount on the total of both placements!
Full-page, half-page sizes and full-page covers are available, too! Also, simple message "line-listings" are available! Send a message to your performing friends! Show YOUR SUPPORT! Wish folks well. Announce a party!
ORDERING & PAYING is now really EASY! Do it - ONLINE!
Interested? Got questions? To learn more ... go to the DETAILS page.
The 2-page PDF "hand-write" form is still available. ORDER NOW! Please do not delay!
Spring 2018 Deadlines & Guidelines:
• For BOTH programs, or the #1-Eastern Regional/Q-Prelims only, in NH - submit order & ad on/by ... MONDAY, April 2nd
• For the #2-Western Regional Only in NY with the BIG SHOW! - submit order & ad on/by ... MONDAY, April 16th
Place your ad in BOTH programs and receive a 20% discount on both ads!
Contact now: STEVE SALAMIN with any questions! Thank you for your consideration and support!
Preliminary - Schedule of Events
Revision 1 - updated 2/7/2018. Note: Crossroads Quartet and Storm Front quartet are IN-HOUSE!
Friday, May 4, 2018 • 1:00 PM Day Begins / 6:00 PM (Mountain & Yankee Quartet Finals)
NOTE!! See the 3-4 hour Master Class with JIM HENRY for directors, music team and music educators - at the high school.
Lake George High School is having CROSSROADS as guests. Assembly and Music Ed classes planned. All day.
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Directors/Music Educators Workshop with Dr. Jim Henry (Courtyard Marriott)
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Dinner (2-hours±)
- 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Attendee & all On-Site Registration OPEN (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 6:00 PM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 6:00 PM – 9:50 PM: Mountain & Yankee Quartet Finals, Mixed & Youth Harmony Quartet Contest
- 10:00 PM*: Announcements* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 10:30 PM – 1:00 AM: Quartet Evaluations* (Courtyard Marriott Lake George)
Saturday, May 5, 2018 • 10:00 AM (Mountain & Yankee Divisions Chorus Finals)
- 8:30 AM — 11:00 AM: School Opens & Competitor Registration OPEN (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 9:30 AM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 10:00 AM – 12:35 PM: Mountain & Yankee Divisions Chorus Finals/VLQ Contest (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 12:45 PM*: Announcements* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 1:00 PM*: Lunch (1-hour±)
- 2:00 PM* – 4:10 PM: Chorus Evaluations* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 4:15 PM – 6:00 PM: Members Workshop with Dr. Jim Henry (Courtyard Marriott Lake George)
- 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Dinner (2-hours±)
Saturday, May 5, 2018 • 8:00 PM BIG SHOW!
- 5:00 PM: School OPENS.
- 5:30 PM: Ticket Sales BOX OFFICE (table) OPENS
- 6:30 PM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 8:00 PM — BIG SHOW —
- 10:00 PM* — Afterglow - tba —
Sunday, May 6, 2018 •
- 9:30 AM: NED Seniors Chorus Rehearsal (Western) - (Courtyard Marriott Hotel - room tba)
* Note: start times dependent on the previous event's ending time (via contest length)
Special Offering 1
NED Directors, Music Team Leaders,
and Music Educators...
FRIDAY, MAY 4, 2018 • 1:00 - 4:00 PM
at the Courtyard Marriott (HQ) Hotel
MASTER CLASS PRESENTATION
with DR. JIM HENRY
Dr. Jim Henry
A KINESTHETIC APPROACH TO CHORAL TECHNIQUE
The ways in which a choral director can incorporate movement as physical metaphors to develop skills such as tuning, articulation, vocal support, choral blend and interpretation. Find out what peanut butter, old windows, rubber bands, beach balls, magic markers, ski lifts, taffy, and onion skins have to do with choral music.
BLEND SCHMLEND: THE POWER OF THE INDIVIDUAL IN CHORAL MUSIC MAKING
This session will consider ways in which to foster individual ownership in the process of choral music making, and its effect on "Blend," Interpretation, Tuning, Performance, and Culture Building.
FROM PAPER TO POWERFUL
It is the fundamental experience of a director: You’re given a piece of sheet music and a performance date (which is always too soon). Your job is to turn that ink on a page to transformative experience for an audience. This session will explore dynamic, practical, and time-efficient strategies for navigating your way through score study, the rehearsal process, and, ultimately, the curtain.
Special Offering 2
ALL MEMBERS of the NED
SATURDAY, MAY 5, 2018 • 4:15 - 6:00 PM
at the High School
REHEARSAL/COACHING AND PERFORMANCE
with DR. JIM HENRY and CROSSROADS QUARTET
How would you like to experience a rehearsal, sectionals and coaching from one of the best quartets in our Society?
How would you feel being part of a 100-man chorus to perform before your friends, relatives, and community goers under the direction of two top-notch directors: Dr. Jim Henry and Michael Slamka?
After a day of Contests & Judging, Clinics, Coaching and In-Service at the Lake George High School ... there's the
BIG Saturday Night SHOW At The HIGH SCHOOL!
Featuring two TOP award-winning BHS International Champion SPECIAL GUEST quartets!
The 2009 Barbershop Harmony Society
Gold Medal International Quartet Champions
Crossroads Quartet is
Fred Farrell, tenor; Mike Slamka, lead;
Brandon Guyton, baritone; and Jim Henry, bass.
The 2010 Barbershop Harmony Society
Gold Medal International Quartet Champions. No, really!
Storm Front is
Jeff Selano, tenor; Jim Clark, lead;
Darin Drown, baritone; and Syd Libsack, bass.
SHOW TICKETS - Public - General Seating
$20 at the door.
$15 in advance, local and online.
NED Convention Competitor Registration includes admission to show.
Showtime: 8:00 PM (doors open at 7:30)
Tickets available SOON online at the NED Contest Registration site (Eventbrite). Purchases are secure and require a credit card.
Please note: You MUST print the Eventbrite "ticket" yourself - and bring with you!
Lake George Tourism sites - select any - and learn more about Lake George and attractions!
Lake George in the Spring!
- Fort William Henry ~~ Re-opens Monday May 7
- Fort Ticonderoga located on the northern end of the lake.
- Boat tours of Lake George - may be available starting this weekend.
Other Area Attractions, Information – More To Do:
DINING OPTIONS in the area: Start ... <[<<HERE>>]>
- Barnsider Smokehouse BBQ - 2112 State Rt. 9 South (Just before Waterslide World) / Reservations: (518) 668-5268
- Mama Riso's Italian Restaurant - 2119 State Route 9 (Canada St.)
- Mario's Restaurant - 429 Canada St.
- Guiseppe's Pizzeria and Cafe - 337 Canada St.
- Blacksmith Tavern at Fort William Henry Hotel & Conf. Center
Village of Lake George is a resort location catering to tourists, in the village are 22 restaurants and more shops.