Last update: FRIDAY, MAY 11, 2018
5/4/2018 update: SCORES
5/11/2018 update: PHOTOS
2018 NED WESTERN Regional
Spring Convention & Contests
Yankee / Mountain Division Contests
Youth Harmony / Mixed Harmony Contests
May 4-6, 2018 • Lake George, NY
- Venue: Lake George Junior/Senior High School • 381 Canada Street • Lake George, NY 12845 • <[<< MAP to SCHOOL only >>]>
- HQ Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott Lake George • 365 Canada St, Lake George, NY 12845 • <[<< MAP to HOTEL only >>]>
- Hosted by: "Saratoga Soundtrack" Chorus - Sweet Adelines chapter • Thank you! • www.saratogasoundtrack.org
Western SCORES >>>
Western PHOTOS >>>
1. CONTEST ENTRY (BHS) - now expired/closed.
2. CONVENTION REGISTRATION (NED) for ALL Competitors & Any Attendees
Western Convention ONLINE Registration for Competitors is CLOSED. Register at the door.
SHOW: "Advance Sale" Tickets (registration), lower price, for the SHOW continue until midnight Friday, May 4:
- Each member of your quartet, chorus and/or VLQ is required to purchase a convention registration.
- For comments, questions or concerns about Convention Registrations please contact the NED Registrars at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remember that every member must have a registration and will be required to show their badge before appearing on stage.
- TICKETS for the Saturday Night BIG Show also available here.
- A registered, attending Western Contest competitor, anyone who is singing this weekend in any contest at Lake George, does NOT need to buy a ticket for the show. Your REGISTRATION badge/pass admits you into the show. No extra charge!
- Order your group's CONTEST performance VIDEO at this same registration site.
Just FYI — Lake George High School is right NEXT TO the HQ Marriott hotel! A short walk!
Junior-Senior High School
AUDITORIUM at: (Lake George J/S High School)
381 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
As with any and all events hosted by the Barbershop Harmony Society, Northeastern District and/or any local chapter or affiliate using public community space and facilities, please note...
The use and possession of any alcohol beverage is strictly NOT allowed on Lake George High School campus, regardless of age.
Moreover, it is a New York State Board of Education policy that...
No person may consume, use, possess, sell, or distribute alcohol or other substances, nor may use or possess drug paraphernalia, in school buildings and/or on school grounds or at school-sponsored events... at any time.
This is also a strictly enforced condition of our using the Lake George High School campus. We must respect their policy - and we will back them up 100%.
You may NOT bring or use... tobacco, e-cigarettes, or any illicit drug.
Why are we spotlighting this, you ask? You can guess.
Be respectful, please. Thanks.
Courtyard by Marriott Lake George
365 Canada St, Lake George, NY 12845 • (518) 761-1150
Flanked by shops and eateries on the shores of Lake George, this modern hotel is a mile from Interstate 87. Bright, contemporary rooms provide flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi, as well as mini-fridges and coffeemakers.
Parking is complimentary. Breakfast (an extra charge) is served in a casual bistro. There's also an indoor pool and a fitness room.
Dining? Many local restaurants and taverns within easy walking distance.
Hotel: "Peak 365" - With an array of traditional favorites and modern classics, Peak 365 delights taste buds and satiates appetites. Visit our restaurant overlooking the waters of Lake George for a awe-inspiring breakfast or romantic evening rendezvous. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dress is casual.
Hotel Direct - Reservations at ... (518) 761-1150
Toll-Free Reservations, call ...1-888-236-2427
You must mention you a part of the
Northeastern District (NED)
"Barbershop Harmony Society"
for special rate and reserved space.
2 King Beds.... $129.
2-Bedroom Suite.... $269.
King bed w/ sofa (lake view).... $159.
King bed w/ sofa (mountain view).... $134.
1 King, 1 Queen Suite w/ sofa.... $149.
2 Kings Suite (lake view).... $179.
2 Queen (mountain view).... $134.
1 King (lake view).... $149.
Plus NY and local Rooms Tax (7%+4%)
Other Hotels in Lake George - Seasonal - Hotels.com
Quality Inn Lake George • 57 Canada Street • Lake George, NY • (518) 668-3525 • All Rooms $99.95 plus tax.
Fort William Henry Hotel & Conf. Ctr. • 48 Canada Street • Lake George, NY • (518) 668-3081 • Std. Lake side $109 / Std Mountain $95 plus tax.
Blair House Motel and Cottages • 2734 Canada Street • Lake George NY • (518) 668-2871
Econo Lodge Downtown Lake George • 439 Canada St, Lake George, NY • (518) 668-2689
Best Western of Lake George • 2452 NY State Route 9N, Lake George, NY 12845 • (518) 668-5701
Or go to: Hotels.com - Lake George
NED SPRING 2018 WESTERN REGIONAL DISTRICT CONVENTION - Lake George
The Printed PROGRAM. Ready!
Posted Tuesday May 01 @ 1100
Now Available to Download - View & Print versions.
A 28-page booklet FULL of cool information for the YEAR, ads & notes!
2 versions available here:
- download "READERS" spread and view on your computer or mobile device.
- 2.7 Mb download PDF doc
2. Printer version (printer's spreads) --- [Select Here]
- download "PRINTERS" to print. Best on a machine that can print on both sides (duplex), and the page layout will properly fall where needed. Fold in-half (long).
- 2.7 Mb download PDF doc
Questions or Comments always welcome! Contact the Editor & Publisher - Steve Salamin
"Thank you" to all the advertisers for their support!
Good luck to all contestants!
Tentative - Schedule of Events
Revision 4 - updated 4/27/2018.
Friday, May 4, 2018 • 1:00 PM Day Begins / 5:55 PM • Yankee & Mountain Quartet Finals
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Directors/Music Educators Workshop with Dr. Jim Henry (Courtyard Marriott)
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Dinner (on your own; 2-hours±)
- 4:00 PM: School OPENS to Contestants Only
- 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Competitor & Attendee Registration OPEN (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 5:30 PM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 5:55 PM – 9:30 PM: Yankee & Mountain Quartet Finals, Mixed Harmony Quartet Contests
- *9:45 PM: Announcements & Contest Results (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- *10:30 PM – 12:30 AM: Quartet Evaluations* (Courtyard Marriott Lake George)
Saturday, May 5, 2018 • 9:55 AM • Yankee & Mountain Divisions Chorus Finals
- 8:00 AM: School OPENS to Contestants Only
- 8:00 AM — 11:00 AM: Competitor & Attendee Registration OPEN (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 9:30 AM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 9:55 AM – 11:55 AM: Mountain & Yankee Divisions Chorus Finals Contest (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- *11:55 AM: Intermission / Lunch (1-hour±)
- 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM: Mountain & Yankee Divisions VLQ Contest (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- *2:00 PM: Announcements* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- *2:15 PM – 4:10 PM: Chorus Evaluations* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 4:15 PM – 6:00 PM: NED Chorus Workshop/Rehearsal with Dr. Jim Henry, & CROSSROADS (Courtyard Marriott Lake George)
- 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Dinner (2-hours±)
Saturday, May 5, 2018 • 8:00 PM • BIG SHOW!
- 5:00 PM: School OPENS.
- 6:00 PM: Ticket Sales BOX OFFICE (table) OPENS
- 7:30 PM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 8:00 PM: — BIG SHOW! — featuring...
• 100-man NED chorus, Jim Henry & Mike Slamka directing (2 songs)
• 2018 NED Mixed Harmony Quartet Champion
• Yankee Division: Chorus Champion, Quartet Champion & Seniors Quartet Champion
• Mountain Division: Chorus Champion, Quartet Champion & Seniors Quartet Champion
• Storm Front
- 10:00 PM* — Afterglow - tba -
Sunday, May 6, 2018 •
- 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM: NED Seniors Chorus Rehearsal (Western) - (Courtyard Marriott Hotel - room tba)
* Note: start times dependent on the previous event's ending time (via contest length)
Special Event/Offering 1
NED Directors, Music Team Leaders,
and Music Educators...
FRIDAY, MAY 4, 2018 • 1:00 - 4:00 PM
at the Courtyard Marriott (HQ) Hotel
MASTER CLASS PRESENTATION
with DR. JIM HENRY
Dr. Jim Henry
Special Event/Offering 2
ALL MEMBERS of the NED Invited & Encouraged to Join!
NED CHORUS ~ under Dr. Jim Henry!
SATURDAY, MAY 5, 2018 • 4:15 - 6:00 PM
at the Courtyard Marriott Lake George Hotel
REHEARSAL/COACHING and PERFORMANCE
with DR. JIM HENRY and CROSSROADS QUARTET
How would you like to experience a rehearsal, sectionals and coaching from one of the best quartets in our Society?
How would you feel being part of a 100-man chorus to perform before your friends, relatives, and community goers under the direction of two top-notch directors: Dr. Jim Henry and Michael Slamka?
BIG Saturday Night SHOW At The HIGH SCHOOL!
After a day of Contests & Judging, Clinics, Coaching and In-Service at the Lake George High School ... there's the BIG SHOW Saturday night...
Featuring two TOP award-winning BHS International Champion SPECIAL GUEST quartets!
The 2009 Barbershop Harmony Society
Gold Medal International Quartet Champions
Crossroads Quartet is
Fred Farrell, tenor; Mike Slamka, lead;
Brandon Guyton, baritone; and Jim Henry, bass.
The 2010 Barbershop Harmony Society
Gold Medal International Quartet Champions. No, really!
Storm Front is
Jeff Selano, tenor; Jim Clark, lead;
Darin Drown, baritone; and Syd Libsack, bass.
SHOW TICKETS - Public - General Seating
$20 at the door.
$15 in advance, local and online. Ends midnight 5/4.
NED Convention Competitor Registration includes admission to show.
Showtime: 8:00 PM (doors open at 7:30)
Please note: You MUST print the Eventbrite "ticket" yourself - and bring with you!
Lake George Tourism sites - select any - and learn more about Lake George and attractions!
Lake George in the Spring!
- Fort William Henry ~~ Re-opens Monday May 7
- Fort Ticonderoga located on the northern end of the lake.
- Boat tours of Lake George - may be available starting this weekend.
Other Area Attractions, Information – More To Do:
DINING OPTIONS in the area: Start ... <[<<HERE>>]>
- Barnsider Smokehouse BBQ - 2112 State Rt. 9 South (Just before Waterslide World) / Reservations: (518) 668-5268
- Mama Riso's Italian Restaurant - 2119 State Route 9 (Canada St.)
- Mario's Restaurant - 429 Canada St.
- Guiseppe's Pizzeria and Cafe - 337 Canada St.
- Blacksmith Tavern at Fort William Henry Hotel & Conf. Center
Village of Lake George is a resort location catering to tourists, in the village are 22 restaurants and more shops.
OTHER "ATTRACTIONS" (check listings online - some just opening for the seasons ahead)