Last update: Sunday, March 25
Contests, Classes, Special NED Chorus Opp, Big Show!
2018 NED WESTERN Regional
Spring Convention & Contests
Yankee / Mountain Division Contests
Youth Harmony / Mixed Harmony Contests
May 4-6, 2018 • Lake George, NY
- Venue: Lake George Junior/Senior High School • 381 Canada Street • Lake George, NY 12845 • <[<< MAP to SCHOOL only >>]>
- HQ Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott Lake George • 365 Canada St, Lake George, NY 12845 • <[<< MAP to HOTEL only >>]>
- Hosted by: "Saratoga Soundtrack" Chorus - Sweet Adelines chapter • Thank you! • www.saratogasoundtrack.org
- Questions? (Select name/link) Hotel: DVP-Events: Bob Bradley / Contests & Judging: Alan Lamson / Marketing & PR: Steve Salamin
Crossroads Quartet & Storm Front quartet HERE in Lake George for the weekend!
See & Hear them Saturday Night on the BIG SHOW!
1. CONTEST ENTRY (BHS) - now expired/closed.
2. CONVENTION REGISTRATION (NED) for ALL Competitors & Any Attendees
Online Event Registration - at Eventbrite - for the Western Convention & SHOW is OPEN.
DEADLINE for Early Registration Online is Friday, April 20 (save!)
- Each member of your quartet, chorus and/or VLQ is required to purchase a convention registration.
- For comments, questions or concerns about Convention Registrations please contact the NED Registrars at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remember that every member must have a registration and will be required to show their badge before appearing on stage.
- TICKETS for the Saturday Night BIG Show also available here.
- A registered, attending Western Contest competitor, anyone who is singing this weekend in any contest at Lake George, does NOT need to buy a ticket for the show. Your REGISTRATION badge/pass admits you into the show. No extra charge!
- Order your group's CONTEST performance VIDEO at this same registration site.
Just FYI — Lake George High School is right NEXT TO the HQ Marriott hotel! A short walk!
Junior-Senior High School
AUDITORIUM at: (Lake George J/S High School)
381 Canada Street
Lake George, NY 12845
As with any and all events hosted by the Barbershop Harmony Society, Northeastern District and/or any local chapter or affiliate using public community space and facilities, please note...
The use and possession of any alcohol beverage is strictly NOT allowed on Lake George High School campus, regardless of age.
Moreover, it is a New York State Board of Education policy that...
No person may consume, use, possess, sell, or distribute alcohol or other substances, nor may use or possess drug paraphernalia, in school buildings and/or on school grounds or at school-sponsored events... at any time.
This is also a strictly enforced condition of our using the Lake George High School campus. We must respect their policy - and we will back them up 100%.
You may NOT bring or use... tobacco, e-cigarettes, or any illicit drug.
Why are we spotlighting this, you ask? You can guess.
Be respectful, please. Thanks.
Courtyard by Marriott Lake George
365 Canada St, Lake George, NY 12845 • (518) 761-1150
Flanked by shops and eateries on the shores of Lake George, this modern hotel is a mile from Interstate 87. Bright, contemporary rooms provide flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi, as well as mini-fridges and coffeemakers.
Parking is complimentary. Breakfast (an extra charge) is served in a casual bistro. There's also an indoor pool and a fitness room.
Dining? Many local restaurants and taverns within easy walking distance.
Hotel: "Peak 365" - With an array of traditional favorites and modern classics, Peak 365 delights taste buds and satiates appetites. Visit our restaurant overlooking the waters of Lake George for a awe-inspiring breakfast or romantic evening rendezvous. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dress is casual.
Hotel Direct - Reservations at ... (518) 761-1150
Toll-Free Reservations, call ...1-888-236-2427
You must mention you a part of the
Northeastern District (NED)
"Barbershop Harmony Society"
for special rate and reserved space.
2 King Beds.... $129.
2-Bedroom Suite.... $269.
King bed w/ sofa (lake view).... $159.
King bed w/ sofa (mountain view).... $134.
1 King, 1 Queen Suite w/ sofa.... $149.
2 Kings Suite (lake view).... $179.
2 Queen (mountain view).... $134.
1 King (lake view).... $149.
Plus NY and local Rooms Tax (7%+4%)
Other Hotels in Lake George - Seasonal - Hotels.com
Quality Inn Lake George • 57 Canada Street • Lake George, NY • (518) 668-3525 • All Rooms $99.95 plus tax.
Fort William Henry Hotel & Conf. Ctr. • 48 Canada Street • Lake George, NY • (518) 668-3081 • Std. Lake side $109 / Std Mountain $95 plus tax.
Blair House Motel and Cottages • 2734 Canada Street • Lake George NY • (518) 668-2871
Econo Lodge Downtown Lake George • 439 Canada St, Lake George, NY • (518) 668-2689
Best Western of Lake George • 2452 NY State Route 9N, Lake George, NY 12845 • (518) 668-5701
Or go to: Hotels.com - Lake George
ADVERTISE in the printed 2018 Spring
This is a GREAT opportunity for you and your chapter, chorus, quartet, business and any other service - to reach the Barbershop Harmony community.
Show your stuff! Offer your services! Tell us about your upcoming events - shows, performances, classes, or your accomplishments and awards! Maybe YOU have a business and would like others to see your ad - and how YOU support cultural events in the community!
PRICES remain unchanged! Your ad helps support the program printing. For as little as $40 - you can place a quarter-page display ad for all to see!
Advertise in BOTH programs and receive a 20% discount on the total of both placements!
Full-page, half-page sizes and full-page covers are available, too! Also, simple message "line-listings" are available! Send a message to your performing friends! Show YOUR SUPPORT! Wish folks well. Announce a party!
ORDERING & PAYING is now really EASY! Do it - ONLINE!
Interested? Got questions? To learn more ... go to the DETAILS page.
The 2-page PDF "hand-write" form is still available. ORDER NOW! Please do not delay!
Spring 2018 Deadlines & Guidelines:
• For BOTH programs, or the #1-Eastern Regional/Q-Prelims only, in NH - submit order & ad on/by ... MONDAY, April 2nd
• For the #2-Western Regional Only in NY with the BIG SHOW! - submit order & ad on/by ... MONDAY, April 16th
Place your ad in BOTH programs and receive a 20% discount on both ads!
Contact now: STEVE SALAMIN with any questions! Thank you for your consideration and support!
Preliminary - Schedule of Events
Revision 2 - updated 4/10/2018. Note: Crossroads Quartet and Storm Front quartet are IN-HOUSE!
Friday, May 4, 2018 • 1:00 PM Day Begins / 6:00 PM (Mountain & Yankee Quartet Finals)
NOTE!! See the 3-4 hour Master Class with JIM HENRY for directors, music team and music educators - at the high school.
Lake George High School is having CROSSROADS as guests. Assembly and Music Ed classes planned. All day.
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM: Directors/Music Educators Workshop with Dr. Jim Henry (Courtyard Marriott)
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM: Dinner (2-hours±)
- 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Attendee & all On-Site Registration OPEN (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 6:00 PM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 6:00 PM – 9:50 PM: Mountain & Yankee Quartet Finals, Mixed & Youth Harmony Quartet Contest
- 10:00 PM*: Announcements* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 10:30 PM – 1:00 AM: Quartet Evaluations* (Courtyard Marriott Lake George)
Saturday, May 5, 2018 • 10:00 AM (Mountain & Yankee Divisions Chorus Finals)
- 8:30 AM — 11:00 AM: School Opens & Competitor Registration OPEN (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 9:30 AM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 10:00 AM – 12:35 PM: Mountain & Yankee Divisions Chorus Finals/VLQ Contest (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 12:45 PM*: Announcements* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 1:00 PM*: Lunch (1-hour±)
- 2:00 PM* – 4:10 PM: Chorus Evaluations* (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 4:15 PM – 6:00 PM: Members Workshop with Dr. Jim Henry (Courtyard Marriott Lake George)
- 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM: Dinner (2-hours±)
Saturday, May 5, 2018 • 8:00 PM BIG SHOW!
- 5:00 PM: School OPENS.
- 5:30 PM: Ticket Sales BOX OFFICE (table) OPENS
- 6:30 PM: Auditorium Doors OPEN for the audience/attendees (Lake George Sr/Jr High School)
- 8:00 PM — BIG SHOW —
- 10:00 PM* — Afterglow - tba —
Sunday, May 6, 2018 •
- 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM: NED Seniors Chorus Rehearsal (Western) - (Courtyard Marriott Hotel - room tba)
* Note: start times dependent on the previous event's ending time (via contest length)
Special Event/Offering 1
NED Directors, Music Team Leaders,
and Music Educators...
FRIDAY, MAY 4, 2018 • 1:00 - 4:00 PM
at the Courtyard Marriott (HQ) Hotel
MASTER CLASS PRESENTATION
with DR. JIM HENRY
Dr. Jim Henry
Special Event/Offering 2
ALL MEMBERS of the NED Invited & Encouraged to Join!
NED CHORUS ~ under Dr. Jim Henry!
SATURDAY, MAY 5, 2018 • 4:15 - 6:00 PM
at the Courtyard Marriott Lake George Hotel
REHEARSAL/COACHING and PERFORMANCE
with DR. JIM HENRY and CROSSROADS QUARTET
How would you like to experience a rehearsal, sectionals and coaching from one of the best quartets in our Society?
How would you feel being part of a 100-man chorus to perform before your friends, relatives, and community goers under the direction of two top-notch directors: Dr. Jim Henry and Michael Slamka?
BIG Saturday Night SHOW At The HIGH SCHOOL!
After a day of Contests & Judging, Clinics, Coaching and In-Service at the Lake George High School ... there's the BIG SHOW Saturday night...
Featuring two TOP award-winning BHS International Champion SPECIAL GUEST quartets!
The 2009 Barbershop Harmony Society
Gold Medal International Quartet Champions
Crossroads Quartet is
Fred Farrell, tenor; Mike Slamka, lead;
Brandon Guyton, baritone; and Jim Henry, bass.
The 2010 Barbershop Harmony Society
Gold Medal International Quartet Champions. No, really!
Storm Front is
Jeff Selano, tenor; Jim Clark, lead;
Darin Drown, baritone; and Syd Libsack, bass.
SHOW TICKETS - Public - General Seating
$20 at the door.
$15 in advance, local and online.
NED Convention Competitor Registration includes admission to show.
Showtime: 8:00 PM (doors open at 7:30)
Tickets available SOON online at the NED Contest Registration site (Eventbrite). Purchases are secure and require a credit card.
Please note: You MUST print the Eventbrite "ticket" yourself - and bring with you!
Lake George Tourism sites - select any - and learn more about Lake George and attractions!
Lake George in the Spring!
- Fort William Henry ~~ Re-opens Monday May 7
- Fort Ticonderoga located on the northern end of the lake.
- Boat tours of Lake George - may be available starting this weekend.
Other Area Attractions, Information – More To Do:
DINING OPTIONS in the area: Start ... <[<<HERE>>]>
- Barnsider Smokehouse BBQ - 2112 State Rt. 9 South (Just before Waterslide World) / Reservations: (518) 668-5268
- Mama Riso's Italian Restaurant - 2119 State Route 9 (Canada St.)
- Mario's Restaurant - 429 Canada St.
- Guiseppe's Pizzeria and Cafe - 337 Canada St.
- Blacksmith Tavern at Fort William Henry Hotel & Conf. Center
Village of Lake George is a resort location catering to tourists, in the village are 22 restaurants and more shops.