New! NED Seniors Chorus - 2017 > 2018 > 2019 > 2020
Update: July 30, 2017 ------------------
(Based on new decisions made at the District Presidents Council meeting held July 19th in Nashville.)
A proposal was made and passed by the Council. Summary now included:
All 17 Districts will have the opportunity to field a Seniors Chorus to participate in the Seniors Chorus Festival at BHS's Mid-Winter Convention. The selection process is this: a random draw will assign which District is eligible to participate in the Mid-Winter Festival in 2018, or 2019, or 2020. Regardless of the outcome of the draw, all choruses must be scored at their fall District Chorus Contest leading up to their assigned year, and must achieve a minimum average qualifying score of 61.
Not so good news? Out of 17 Districts, NED drew 15th, making the NED eligible to participate in the Seniors Chorus Festival in January, 2020. Yes, you read that correctly.
Consequently, the NED Seniors Chorus will NOT be performing at the Mid-Winter, in January, 2018, in Costa Mesa, California. Sorry for the unfortunate news.
What do we do now? Good news! Ed Fritzen (NED Exec. VP) and David Patterson, Director of the NED Seniors Chorus, discussed this predicament about the future of the NED Seniors Chorus. They agreed that the NED Seniors Chorus should not just go belly-up, calling off the whole thing initiative. On the contrary, it was decided to keep the program going, to continue moving forward. Even though we do not know the location of Mid-Winter in 2020, we'll continue to develop the Seniors Chorus, making it into something special for those who participate. And make it something special the rest of the District can enjoy and be proud of when we perform.
Now, the "in between" news. There is a possibility that a District which is eligible to participate at the Mid-Winter Festival in 2019 might drop out, or give up their slot. In that case we might be able to take that slot, moving up one year. We won't know that for some time. But, it is a possibility.
So, here's the bottom line.:
- The NED Seniors Chorus will NOT be performing at the Mid-Winter, next January, 2018, in Costa Mesa, California.
- The NED Seniors Chorus is eligible to participate in the Seniors Chorus Festival in January, 2020.
- Next week's scheduled rehearsal WILL TAKE PLACE as planned.
- There's an outside chance the NED Seniors Chorus could participate at the Mid-Winter Festival in 2019.
Stay tuned here and with David Patterson for more details and meetings.
Update: April 10, 2017 ----------------------
The ultimate purpose of this project is to perform onstage as part of the Seniors Chorus Festival at next year’s BHS Midwinter Convention in Costa Mesa, California, January 16-21, 2018.
The expectation for the NED Seniors Chorus is to perform at a solid “B” scoring level. We are not at all interested in mediocrity.
- The minimum age for participants is 55. You must be at least 55 years of age as of the date of our contest performance.
- Right now, all participants will learn these two songs:
- “Being With You”
- “Almost Like Being In Love”
- Learning tracks and music are available.
- There will be a visual plan for both these songs.
- We’re planning at least three rehearsals…
- Eastern Regional: Windham, NH, weekend of April 22, 2017.
- Western Regional: Lake George, NY, weekend of May 6, 2017.
- Harmony College Northeast: Worcester, MA, weekend of August 5, 2017.At the NED District Fall Convention, we will gather and perform our two-song set in front of the Judging Panel. We must score higher than the minimal, qualifying score. We don’t yet know what this year’s qualifying score will be.
Here are a few expectations:
- All participants who intend to be onstage next January will be expected to attend at least one of the above-referenced rehearsals.
- All participants who intend to be onstage next January will be expected to be onstage, participating in the NED District Fall Contest performance to qualify.
- All participants in the NED District Fall Contest performance will be expected to purchase a Registration. We are negotiating a lesser price for those who will be performing with only the Seniors Chorus.
- All participants in the NED Seniors Chorus will pay a nominal fee to cover the cost of music, learning tracks, etc..
Later this fall, there will be links posted by BHS to ...1) register for the convention; and, 2) make hotel reservations.A major “upside” to this endeavor will be the opportunity to perform on an “International Stage”. While not the same as International in July, it will be a thrill to perform for such a large, appreciative and enthusiastic audience. This will be an opportunity for some of our seniors who might not otherwise have the chance to ever perform in an International setting.If you’re interested, if this sounds like something you would enjoy being part of, please send the following information to…
- Your Name
- Voice part
- Age (If you’re not 55, send the date you will turn 55.)
- Mobile phone number
- Email address
- Suggested name for the chorus (optional)This should be an outstanding opportunity! Thank you for your consideration!
Administrator: Ed Fritzen, NED Executive VP
Chorus Director: David Patterson